Upstart is exactly the tool we’d been looking for to streamline our forensics and recovery processes. Thanks Pete!
Dan Hitchcock, Principal Security Architect, Microsoft
Upstart is an 8-in-1 multi-tool for working with PSTs:
- Finds and lists PSTs
- Copies or moves PSTs
- Converts PSTs from ANSI to Unicode format
- Merges PSTs (with optional de-duping)
- Splits PSTs (by size, date, time period or item class)
- Extracts selected items from PSTs saving them to PSTs, MSGs or EMLs
- Mines PSTs for email addresses
- Consolidates any number of PSTs into a single "super archive" PST with each user's email in a separate folder tree
- Finds and lists all PSTs in a directory, directory tree, volume or across an entire system. Generates XML lists of PSTs with configurable fields for import into Excel, etc.
- Copies or moves PSTs, for example from users' PCs to a central location.
- Can be pushed to workstations (using, for example, PSExec) or run remotely using telnet to centralize PSTs or to do conversions and merges with no user interaction.
- Combines any number of PSTs into one -- in a single operation. Can merge PSTs at the root level or put each PST into its own folder tree.
- Supports deduplication during the merge process. This allows you, for example, to consolidate multiple overlapping archives.
- Can convert or merge all the PSTs on a drive with one command. Great for PSTs on file servers!
- Performs ANSI-to-Unicode conversions in place.
- Supports bulk conversions. Save loads of time by converting dozens of ANSI PSTs to Unicode in one shot.
- Splits PSTs by size, by date, by time periods (year, quarter or month), and by item class (email/Contact/appointment/task/etc.)
- Extracts items by class (email, contact, todo, etc), from/to, and date for archiving, forensic and other purposes. For example, it can extract all the contacts from all the PSTs on a system and save them into a single new PST.
- Handles all types of item: messages, Contacts, appointments, tasks, forms and views. (Outlook rules are a special case. Upstart handles rules in conversions with no problem but is not able to combine rules when merging PSTs.)
- Mines PSTs to extract every unique email address that messages have been sent to or received from.
- Guaranteed free from adware, snoopware, and all things nasty.
Watch the introduction video
If clicking on the video above produces a "Video unavailable" error, please click the link below to watch on YouTube.
- For converting, merging, splitting and extracting data from PSTs, Upstart must be run on a Windows system with Microsoft® Outlook installed. Outlook 2010, 2013, 2016 and 2019 are all supported in both 32- and 64-bit versions. (Outlook is not needed for finding and centralizing PSTs.)
To learn more about Upstart, please read the product's User Guide online.
If you would like to evaluate Upstart for possible purchase please send us a request by email and we will provide a fully functional but time-limited version for you to try.
The basic Upstart package costs US$450 or €450 and includes both 32- and 64-bit versions of the software. The package includes a full-featured GUI program and a command-line utility; each does the same job (with a couple of exceptions) so you can use whichever you find more convenient. For licensing details please refer to our Upstart sales page.
What Upstart looks like
Take a look at the main window of the GUI version of Upstart by clicking on the image on the bottom right of this page.
The console version of Upstart supports the following commands: ConvertToUnicode, Merge, ListPSTs, OutlookProfiles (lists the Outlook profiles that a given PST is configured into), SetPasswords, Split and RemovePasswords.
Please read our list of use cases for Upstart.